Monday, March 12, 2007

So I'm Officially a Trail Angel Now...

Or will be on Wednesday. So what exactly is a trail angel? Trail angels are people who assist through hikers with food, rides, water, showers, laundry, etc... And who am I trail angeling for? My hiking partner Thomas. And where is he headed this time? The LST which goes through the Sam Houston National forest. I'm envious...I LOVE forests and this one is large!

We are leaving Wed very early for a drive to Cleavland Texas. We'll caravan there, drop his vehicle off at one trail head, then he'll get in my car with me and we'll drive to another trail head where his adventure will begin. Along the way we'll cache water for him at various spots so he can be sure to have enough.

It's all quite interesting...at least to me it is. Of course I wish I was going on the through hike too, but I'm more than happy to help a friend out. He's covering my expenses but I would do it anyway because he has been so good to me and has taught me a lot about hiking and backpacking . Now let's hope that the weather is in his favor...

So after I drop him off and say goodbye he'll walk all the way back to his car...30 something miles. He'll take three days to do it. Cool huh? I love through hiking! It has a culture all it's own and is so interesting. I've read trail journal after trail journal of people's adventures on trails like the Lone Star Trail, The Appellation Trail, and the Pacific Crest Trail. I hope to get on all of them someday myself! But for now, I'll live vicariously through Thomas and hope he gives me a good trip report when he gets back. :)