Friday, August 04, 2006

My latest obsession

So I think I've about lost my mind...sorta. I decided a few days ago that I am going to convert my garage into a music/recreational room complete with drums, guitars, games, and maybe even a ping pong table...if I can sqeeze it in. Of course this means I'll have to sound proof so my neighbors don't hassle me, and I'm sure my husband will be happy for the sound proofing too. In addition to keeping everyone happy by not disturbing their peaceful existence, I have acoustics to think about. All that sound has to go somewhere right? But for now, I think insulating has to be my priority. I can work on acoustics later.

Incidentally, I figured it would be a while before I could get a decent drum set because they are so costly. I spent time looking around on the internet and yeah...just don't have the funds for that right now. Just when I was starting to feel defeat, I had a bright idea. I have a friend named Jamie who has a kick ass drum set (with double base drums)! She has been keeping them set up in a storage unit and when she feels like playing she just goes and opens up her unit and plays. I remembered her mentioning that she can't afford her rent, so I'll make a little proposal...

Yes! Jamie is going to keep her drums here! Now I really need to buckle down and figure this sound proofing thing out and quick. I did some internet research and so far it's looking complicated and costly. But surely there are plenty of ways to sound proof a room...I'm thinking heavy blankets, foam pads, carpet, etc...

I called the police department to ask about the laws and if it's even legal to play drums in my garage in a residential area. It turns out the officer who answered my call has been a musician for about 30 years and he gave me advice on the subject. He said to turn myself in now...because I'm obviously insane. Yeah whatever...I knew this already. It's nothing new. The nice policeman said basically no matter what time of day it is, if my neighbors call and complain, I have to stop the noise..er I mean music. Bummer.

So, I'm off to do some research. Wish me luck in my newest endeavor, I'll need it!

No comments: