Monday, March 15, 2010

I will Handle what ever Comes My Way with Style and Grace

I've been debating with myself as to whether or not I want to post this because I don't want to alarm anyone, but I decided to go ahead since this is ultimately my journal and having a timeline could be important later...

I'm losing my hair in abnormal quantities(already have two good sized bald spots...largest is two inches across) and the cause is unknown yet. It very well could be related to malabsorption of nutrients and vitamin deficits because of the food intolerances, but it could also be something pretty bad such as lupus or cancer and I am currently undergoing testing to rule those things out. My sister discovered the bald spots a few days ago and I don't know how long they have been there but I'm thinking not long. Fortunately my hair covers them up...for now anyway.

I got handed a diagnosis of fibromyalgia yesterday but it doesn't explain the hair loss. Unfortunately fibromyalgia (soft tissue arthritis) has no cure and is something I will have to manage the rest of my life. It isn't the greatest of news, but it isn't the worst either. I have been in pain for years now and am used to it. The best way to manage this disease is lots of exercise and stretching. Thankfully this means hiking and backpacking are here to stay. The doc says I don't have to give that up at all and he thinks it is a wonderful way for me to exercise and help manage the fibromyalgia.

Hopefully soon I will know more. In the meantime I am trying not to dwell on it too much. Stay tuned for updates and pictures I've taken over the last several days. We did some cooking and painting! :)

7 comments:

Little Mama said...

Are you still getting plenty of protein in your diet? I had a friend in college (I know... the "I had a friend scenario" but seriously) who became a strict vegan. Unfortunately she didn't research complimentary proteins and such and within a couple of months she started having massive amounts of hair loss. So it really could be dietary. Good positive thoughts flowing your direction! :)

Ginny said...

Hey Trina! :)

I think I am getting enough protein but maybe not? It is very possible that because of the wheat intolerance that I'm simply having more malabsorption issues even though I probably eat healthier than I've eaten my whole life lol.

rocket said...

Hang in there Ginny!

Just to be safe, go chow down on a steak!

Anonymous said...

yu cud alwez bi e hat!

Ginny said...

Hi Rocket :)

I've been doing my fair share of chowing lately since my sister has been in town...I've gained six very heavy pounds since she has been here. Gotta go walk that shit off!

Sharon said...

I am really keeping the hope that your bloodwork will come back normal. The hair loss certainly could be dietary.

So glad Lynn is still there. Altho, the added 6 lbs. shows you all are eating plenty! lol

Ginny said...

Yes I blame all six pounds on Lynn! Darn her lol ;)

She is leaving today...she misses her home and husband.