Sunday, February 21, 2010

Wheat Gluten Intolerance/Celiac disease...It bascically SUCKS!

I am learning a lot about wheat gluten and some of the lessons haven't been easy. I've completely cut out all dietary offenders(it is not just wheat gluten) and I was starting to feel much better, thinking I had a handle on all of this finally. Then I accidentally ate some food that turned out to have hidden gluten and holy bat crap did my body react violently!

My stomach has been in knots, my joints are swollen, stiff, and I'm in a world of pain...it's been over 24 hours and my symptoms have not subsided. Come to find out, the longer you are away from the gluten, the more severe the reaction will be to it if you accidentally ingest it. Good to know. Doesn't make me feel immediately better, but at least I know what is going on. So back to the drawing board for me. I need to learn how to better identify the hidden gluten in the ingredients list on the food packaging. I now understand that bbq sauce is a no no as are most condiments...they are loaded with gluten. Who knew?

Check it out...this is a complete list of ingredients to stay away from that I found on a Celiac website. I can't even pronounce some of this stuff and the list seems to go on forever! I am coming to the realization that eating processed anything is not a good idea for me anymore. The health problems that these intolerances and allergies have caused are debilitating to one degree or another and it simply isn't worth it.

The bad list:

abyssinian Hard (Wheat triticum durum)
alcohol specific types
Amp-Isostearoyl Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein
Atta Flour
Barley Grass (can contain seeds)
Barley Hordeum vulgare
Barley Malt
Beer (most contain barley or wheat)
Bleached Flour
Bran
Bread Flour
Brewer's Yeast
Brown Flour
Bulgur (Bulgar Wheat/Nuts)
Bulgur Wheat
Cereal Binding
chilton
Club Wheat (Triticum aestivum subspecies compactum)
Common Wheat (Triticum aestivum)
Cookie Crumbs
Cookie Dough
Cookie Dough Pieces
Couscous
Criped Rice
Dinkle (Spelt)
Disodium Wheatgermamido Peg-2 Sulfosuccinate
Durum wheat (Triticum durum)
Edible Coatings
Edible Films
Edible Starch
Einkorn (Triticum monococcum)
Emmer (Triticum dicoccon)
Enriched Bleached Flour
Enriched Bleached Wheat Flour
Enriched Flour
Farina
Farina Graham
Farro
Filler
Flour (normally this is wheat)
Fu (dried wheat gluten)
Germ
Graham Flour
Granary Flour
Groats (barley, wheat)
Hard Wheat
Heeng
Hing
Hordeum Vulgare Extract
Hydrolyzed Wheat Gluten
Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein
Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein Pg-Propyl Silanetriol
Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch
Hydroxypropyltrimonium Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein
Kamut (Pasta wheat)
Kecap Manis (Soy Sauce)
Ketjap Manis (Soy Sauce)
Kluski Pasta
Maida (Indian wheat flour)
Malt
Malted Barley Flour
Malted Milk
Malt Extract
Malt Syrup
Malt Flavoring
Malt Vinegar
Macha Wheat (Triticum aestivum)
Matza
Matzah
Matzo
Matzo Semolina
Meringue
Meripro 711
Mir
Nishasta
Oriental Wheat (Triticum turanicum)
Orzo Pasta
Pasta
Pearl Barley
Persian Wheat (Triticum carthlicum)
Perungayam
Poulard Wheat (Triticum turgidum)
Polish Wheat (Triticum polonicum)
Rice Malt (if barley or Koji are used)
Roux
Rusk
Rye
Seitan
Semolina
Semolina Triticum
Shot Wheat (Triticum aestivum)
Small Spelt
Spirits(specific types)
Spelt (Triticum spelta)
Sprouted Wheat or Barley
Stearyldimoniumhydroxypropyl Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein
Strong Flour
Suet in Packets
Tabbouleh
Tabouli
Teriyaki Sauce
Timopheevi Wheat (Triticum timopheevii)
Triticale X triticosecale
Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Flour Lipids
Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Extract
Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Oil
Udon (wheat noodles)
Unbleached Flour
Vavilovi Wheat (Triticum aestivum)
Vital Wheat Gluten
Wheat, Abyssinian Hard triticum durum
Wheat amino acids
Wheat Bran Extract
Wheat, Bulgur
Wheat Durum Triticum
Wheat Germ Extract
Wheat Germ Glycerides
Wheat Germ Oil
Wheat Germamidopropyldimonium Hydroxypropyl Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein
Wheat Grass (can contain seeds)
Wheat Nuts
Wheat Protein
Wheat Triticum aestivum
Wheat Triticum Monococcum
Wheat (Triticum Vulgare) Bran Extract
Whole-Meal Flour
Wild Einkorn (Triticum boeotictim)
Wild Emmer (Triticum dicoccoides)

The following items may or may not contain gluten depending on where and how they are made, and it is sometimes necessary to check with the manufacturer to find out:

Artificial Color
Baking Powder
Caramel Color
Caramel Flavoring
Clarifying Agents
Coloring
Dextrins
Dextrimaltose
Dry Roasted Nuts
Emulsifiers
enzymes
fat Replacer
Flavoring
Food Starch
Food Starch Modified
Glucose Syrup
Gravy Cubes
Ground Spices
HPP
HVP
Hydrolyzed Plant Protein
Hydrolyzed Protein
Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein
Hydrogenated Starch Hydrolysate
Hydroxypropylated Starch
Maltose
Miso
Mixed Tocopherols
Modified Food Starch
Modified Starch
Natural Flavoring
Natural Flavors
Natural Juices
Non-dairy Creamer
Pregelatinized Starch
Protein Hydrolysates
Seafood Analogs
Seasonings
Sirimi
Smoke Flavoring
Soba Noodles
Soy Sauce
Soy Sauce Solids
Sphingolipids
Stabilizers
Starch
Stock Cubes
Suet
Tocopherols
Vegetable Broth
Vegetable Gum
Vegetable Protein
Vegetable Starch
Vitamins
Wheat Starch


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you're right about processed food! The amount of crap they pump into that stuff to make it "look, smell & taste right" is nobodies business. You're going to have to re-educate yourself, cook from scratch and use fresh ingredients. Easier said than done but after a while it will become second nature. Good luck, that list is a real bummer but it's not the end of the world!

Iolo

Ginny said...

True it isn't the end of the world or my world for that matter!:)

But I have been going through a grieving process. For instance I won't be making chicken crepes with bechamel sauce anymore, or crab cakes(seafood is out too), or a myriad of other rich yummy dishes I have learned how to make well.

I am a kitchen genius though and will have this figured out eventually. In fact there might be a great gluten free, dairy free, soy free cookbook in my future that I will write. I see the need.

I just have to grieve a little and then move on. It is amazing how attached to food we get!

It could definitely be worse...I could have been diagnosed with some kind of cancer or something. In fact I may very well be staving off life threatening diseases now that I understand better the chemical processes involved and how my body reacts to them via the foods that go in.

I am wondering how many of my family members are unknowingly harming themselves by eating wheat gluten or dairy. But for now I am keeping my mouth shut about it since it doesn't seem to be information people want to hear. Seeing is believing and more powerful than any words I can utter.

Thanks for your comment!

Sharon said...

I don't know too much about eating "gluten free", but I do see items at the store which are labeled "gluten free".
Most of the foods I eat are fresh. However, my diet is catered to the low fat or fat free ingredients.

I am very glad you've found out what it is that makes you sick. You do learn how to eat, and how to avoid stuff that makes you feel awful. Eating healthy for me has become second nature..and it will for you, too.

Anonymous said...

Hello,nice post thanks for sharing?. I just joined and I am going to catch up by reading for a while. I hope I can join in soon.

Ginny said...

Hello new person and welcome to my blog. I hope you enjoy the content! Thanks for hoppping on board. :)

Anonymous said...

Rather than grieving about foods you can't eat, think about the incentive you have to try different things. Quinoa and Amaranth may be your new best friends; bean flours offer different textures and flavors. Corn tortillas can be used in many ways (but ALWAYS read the label, every time). In the last 10 years I've learned about many products I probably never would have tried.
Happy experimenting!