Saturday, June 27, 2009

Oh BTW...

I saw Belligerent 86 the night I was with my friends Ralf, Niki, Zak, and Said(Sa eed) of Krash Karma.

After KK's show, we went to see B86 across the street at room 710. It turns out that Houston, the singer of Belligerent 86, and I have a friend in common. I know a gal named Devvon, who is best friends with one of my best friends and she happens to be childhood friends with Houston.

Such a small world. Who knew that I would end up meeting and knowing so many amazing people on Red River. I'd seen Houston around at Head Hunters many times, but only knew him as an aquaintence...still only do really. I didn't know he was in a band that another mutual friend had mentioned a time or few. Small World indeed.

So Red River feels like home in many ways for many reasons. I've certainly had some of the best times of my life there watching amazing rock shows. And it's so great that I get to be friends with these bands and hang out on a personal level. It's no good to have musicians as friends if you don't get to hang out with them. This is why I am not ever listening to the radio anymore, and I rarely listen to mainstream music. Although I do find the lyrics to many songs compelling as you can all see.

There is this one band called "Course of Empire". I turned Ralf onto them. I only have one cd, and I don't even know if they are well known or not. I heard about them many many years ago...probably more than ten or so, and bought their cd. It is so great! I'm pleased that Ralf thinks so too. He heard them for the first time over at my place. Ralf is way cool and I adore him and everyone else in Krash Karma. Good people totally.

I told Ralf he should have a conversation with my sister Lynn. He is from the black forest and she lived there for a while. I told him that she speaks German fluently, since she still speaks German to some of her close friends there. Anyway I think she and Ralf would enjoy a conversation.

Heh, yeah it's a long post...so deal. When I write, I don't kid around. You don't hear from me for weeks or even months at a time, and sometimes complain about it. So when you finally do read my posts, you better be enjoying them dammit. ;) And I mean collective you btw.

Okay, so where was I?

music, Red River, friends...

Ah yes...brings me to my next thought process...the outdoors. Well are you surprised? Hahaha, what else do I talk about? So yes, I'm heading out for a much needed camping trip with my good pal Gilbert and the kids. I want him to check out Krause Springs with me. Such a nice little place.

I am long over due for this trip. I have let the pool and Red River pull me away from what I really want and need to be doing. But I have my reasons for not hitting the trails other than the aforementioned stuff. I don't want to go into that though. It's only temporary in the grand scheme of things anyway. My heart is always in the outdoors even when my body isn't. I'm so glad Ben is turning into the outdoorsy kid I was hoping for. It can't be said enough how important the outdoors is to a growing young boy. For girls too! Can't forget that.

But he will be a wonderful trail buddy when he is strong enough to survive if he had to ever be in that kind of situation. I won't get him too far off the beaten path these days...but absolutely I do my best to get him involved in nature in one way or another.

He loves his pet snake Jasmine. She is such a pretty girl. She shed her skin yesterday and is ready for more mousies. yummy

No comments: