Thursday, April 16, 2009

Senior's 44th Birthday

Senior is Elliott's dad. We call him Senior because he is also named Elliott. Usually we call Elliott EO, short for Elliott Oliver...I don't think anyone ever calls him Jr. The birthday party was a lot of fun! We camped outside on Senior's property both Friday and Saturday night...weekend before last.

There were tales of a panther that the locals have been seeing, and Senior was telling me I might not want to go off into the woods alone to pitch camp...I did anyway. I was hoping to see a panther, but never did. Of course I take that story with a grain of salt.

Anyway, here are a couple of pictures taken at the party at Senior's place.

Senior

Senior sitting in my lap

Senior's new bird house...a present

EO
My new hammock. My sister sent this to me for my birthday. I tried it out at Senior's place during his birthday weekend. There are plenty of things to like about this hammock, but there are some things not so preferable as well.

The good news is that it's lightweight and will be perfect for hot summer camping. The bad news is it doesn't give a level sleeping surface...so a bit hard to stretch out. The good news, it makes a great chair to relax in and a great place to put stuff out of sight since it's camo. If I want to leave my camp sight for instance and go exploring, I can throw my gear in the hammock and tie it up in the trees somewhere out of sight. The bad news, it won't do for winter.

So, all in all I think it's a practical gadget for summer. 12 oz is way better than lugging a heavy 5lb tent around in the hot summer. However, I intend to save my money and buy a really well thought out and more expensive hammock sleep system that I can use year round. I will keep this one though for a partner or just to put stuff in or use as a chair.

1 comment:

Sean Wright said...

We use a self inflating mattress for camping, very good nights sleep