Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Another Trip on the Horizon

I'm heading out for a much needed dose of nature. This time I'm heading to a place that fulfills my desire to walk in a pine forest and add in some excellent mileage as well. I've lost another 2 pounds this week. It's falling off since I've gotten back into my beloved sport. But medication is also knocking out my appetite as well.

I tend to not eat as much as I should and that has bad effects, such as slowing down weight loss which is only ok to a degree. But part of the problem of not eating on a good schedule is that my stomach is in a vicious cycle. The less I eat, the more the medication makes me nauseated and the more nauseated I am, the less I want to eat. See?

But more and more each day I want to get healthier. It takes work but I'm dedicated to it. So I'm trying to force myself to eat even though most of the time I can't. I've lost muscle tone, and is another reason I need to eat properly. I'm hoping being back on the trails will help fix the problem, but these things take time.

5 comments:

Sean Wright said...

Have they got ladies gyms in Austin? You might want to see a nutritionist and do a specific workout for hiking

Ginny said...

Yeah there's a ladies gym, but you won't find me in a gym. I hate them pretty much. I would much rather lift weights at home and I do sometimes to help with upper body strength.

But honestly, don't you think lugging heavy weight on one's back and trudging up and down hills for miles isn't gonna build muscle tone? I see no need for a boring gym. :)

As far as specific work outs for hiking, there is information all over the message boards on hike/backpack workouts for the times you can't be on the trails and I can do them at home.

Ginny said...

oh forgot, about the nutrition stuff. I know how to eat right, the problem is putting it into practice.

Sean Wright said...

Ginny,

I was thinking that if the gym were close you might be able to work it into a routine.

Your hiking is limited to the weekends and then it can be hampered by weather. So you can be prevented from getting a good routine going.

If you did a little routine to benefit your hiking , say every second day, missing hiking on weekends wouldn't have as much impact.

Maybe you could walk around the neighbourhood in the mornings with a hiking pack on :)

Yes lugging a pack will build muscle tone but it has to be regular. If you can work out at home excellent, I find it too distracting, I go to the gym to make myself workout.

There is eating the right foods but there is also eating the right foods at the right time:)

Anyway I'll stop sounding like my mother and wish you the best anyway

Ginny said...

Ok mother hen. ;)