Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Speaking of Monarchs


Woo Hoo! Monarch pillars eating my milkweed. I'm pretty excited about this because I planted the milkweed in hopes that one day the butterflies would find their way to my garden and we would be able to observe them up close and personal.

A few weeks ago while out in the garden, Ben and I watched a Monarch lay her eggs. I was hopeful that we would get to watch the development of the little darlings but the next day when I went to check on the eggs they were gone. I figured some kind of predator must have eaten the eggs and felt disheartened because I wanted Ben to see for himself what metamorphosis is all about. But yesterday I was happy to see that there are pillars, they are Monarchs, and so far everything is going well. Hopefully the pillars will survive and emerge in time before winter hits.

No comments: