Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Some Elk

Last night a small heard moved through. I was in the house and started hearing this weird noise outside and it kept getting louder and louder. Finally my sister heard it too and she said it was elk. I went outside to observe them...mind you this was late at night and I could barely make out shadowy figures slowly moving across the pasture calling to each other.

It was interesting to me to be out on the porch late at night with millions of visible stars, a small heard of noisy elk moving through, then to look up and notice a plane moving across the sky. It was surreal.

Caitlin has been on horseback with the cowboys for the last couple of days helping to gather the heards from the forests and surrounding hills on the property. They flushed a mountain lion day before yesterday...but the dogs kept the lion quite busy and on the run so it didn't have any interest in bothering anyone. I wish I could have been there to see it!

I'm leaving Saturday morning for my return to Austin. I'm going to miss all this gorgeous country and hope to return in the spring.

No comments: